Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Big Bad Wind


Last night was a bit frightening at our house. Shortly after dark, the alarm on the storm warning detector began sounding off. My son immediately began gathering up his prized possessions and trucking them down to the basement. That ritual always brings a smile to my face, because one of the first items he grabs is a tool kit which must weigh fifteen pounds. It’s filled with metal sockets and wrenches. But, we all have our priorities.

Soon the lights went out, and we sat in the glow of lanterns. My daughter decided to read. My husband booted up my laptop so he could follow the storm. To distract my son from the chaos going on outdoors, I taught him how to play Nerts.

Then the fast-moving storm arrived. There wasn’t much lightning, but the wind roared with an odd pitch that I had never heard before. It sounded like it was traveling down a long, metallic tunnel. Eerie.

We were fortunate. The storm passed north of us by several miles. Our neighbors up there were hit by a rather large tornado, but the news is reporting that everyone is accounted for, and there weren’t many injuries. It seems a little early for the violent weather patterns to be hitting, but I do live in Kansas, and despite the claims of Chicago, the wind never seems to quit around here, which helps me segue into my little jewel I want to share with you today.

 We all know the story of the three little pigs. But someone shared a version of it yesterday that I had never heard before. As a writer, and a reader, I’m always interested to listen to other people’s ideas regarding the usage of words. This guy does a remarkable and hilarious job of showing us how words affect us. I enjoy listening to comedians, and I can assure you this one is squeaky clean, so you don’t have to worry about your kids watching it.

Just click on the linky thing. And have a wonderful final day of February. Depending on your current location, you might also want to keep an eye on the weather.

0 comments:

Post a Comment