Wednesday, August 7, 2013

RELUCTANT READER INTERVIEW

Returning readers of my blog know that I occasionally interview authors. I like to switch things up and try something different from time to time, in an effort to instill a bit more interest, and to find topics that hopefully will attract and meet the needs of more readers.

Today I have decided to conduct a reader interview, rather than an author interview. It’s good to know what inspires someone to write a particular story, but it’s also helpful to understand why readers choose a particular book or series.

My first guest for this new experiment is a young man named Jim. I’m going to let him tell you a little bit about himself to start things off. Realize, of course, that I’m interviewing minors so I need to protect their privacy as much as possible.

Hi. I’m eleven years old, and I live in a small town. I’m going into the fifth grade in a few weeks. I have two older sisters and one younger sister, so except for my Dad, I’m the only guy around the house.

It’s very nice to meet you, Jim. What have you been doing over the summer?

Well, I played baseball for the first part of the summer. I play basketball with other guys in the neighborhood, and I love to fish. We also are pretty active in our church.

Sounds like you know how to have fun. Do you manage to find time to do much reading during the summer months?

Just a little bit. My mom usually signs me up for the summer reading program at the library, but I don’t read all that many books. But there’s lots of fun activities that they do besides just reading.

Would you categorize yourself as a reluctant reader, then?

Probably. I like books, but I don’t really like the long ones. Like a whole novel. You know? I still like the easier books the best. They’re just more fun.

Are you talking about Chapter Books, possibly? Can you tell us what some of your favorites are?

Sure. I like the Captain Underpants books. And I like the Stink books – he’s Judy Moody’s little brother. I also really like the Bailey School Kids books. They’re my favorites.

I haven’t read any of the Bailey School Kids books, but I know there is quite a selection of them. Do you have any favorites among those?

I really liked Ghosts Don’t Eat Potato Chips, and Angels Don’t Do Karate. They’re really good mysteries with great details. I always have to read clear to the end to figure out the mystery, and I think that’s good in a book – not to have it all figured out before you’re finished.

That makes a lot of sense to me. If one of your friends asked you to recommend a great book to them, what would it be?

Any of the Bailey School Kids for sure. And The Lightning Thief was a very good book that I would recommend to someone who really likes to read. I really liked it.

Okay, Jim. I appreciate your thoughtful answers. It sounds like you know what you like when it comes to reading material. One last question. If you could meet any author, who would it be and why?

I think it would be Jeff Smith. He wrote the Bone books, a good graphic novel selection. He’s a really good author and I love his illustrations.

Thanks so much, Jim, for taking the time to talk with us today and for your thoughtful recommendations for reading material. I’ll be sure to check out the Bailey School Kids and the Bone books. I hope the last of your summer is lots of fun, and I wish you great success in 5th grade.

HAPPY READING!

Cordelia Dinsmore


1 comments:

freeloading freddie said...

Well Jim, it sounds like I might enjoy some of those books you talked about!

Post a Comment