Friday, April 13, 2012

Cannibal Island



I finally finished Cannibal Island, and I loved it!


Okay, I don't read much steampunk, although I do actually know what the genre is now, but this was such a fun read that I think I will check out a few more titles of the same genre.


Cornell Deville puts a lot of detail into this work, but it's done in an interesting way and in no way bogged down the story for me. Admittedly, some of the ship details were too complicated for my feeble brain, but I loved the descriptions of the journey itself. The train ride in Dakar was especially fun! And the way the author describes the various 'new' inventions made me laugh out loud. (It took me forever to figure out the perpetual matches.)


I loved the characters in this novel. For some reason, Angus Callahan reminds me of Ernest Borgnine. I don't know why, but that's the picture that came into my head every time the old Scotsman spoke. As far as I know, Borgnine is not Scottish, so what can I say? His little monkey, Nugget, is adorable, and although his part was small, like himself, he brought a definite cute factor to a gruesome tale filled with danger from the hideous creatures on the island, and the dastardly Hans Von Hisle. What an oily-haired, spotty faced creep, who proves just how dastardly  he is by what he does to poor Wren!


I definitely will recommend this one to all of my young friends, and even those who are simply young at heart. I can't wait to see what the next installment in this series will bring.


Happy reading, everyone. And if you've read something lately that really stands out for you, please share it with the rest of us. I'm always looking for something interesting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment