Sunday, April 15, 2012

My Louisiana Sky by Kimberly Willis Holt



I wasn't sure I would like this when I began reading it. I don't usually read the cover blurbs, so I had no idea how the story would develop. But I enjoyed it quite a bit. At first I couldn't understand how Tiger could have special needs parents and be so mentally capable, but, of course, the author explained it in due time.


A very touching story about a young girl struggling to find her inner strength. I fell in love with Tiger and found her to be an admirable, realistic character. As the parent of a special needs daughter, I admired the author's handling of a still somewhat delicate subject. I would love to read more of this type of story.


The setting of the story is a small town in 1950's era Louisiana. Twelve year old Tiger lives with her intellectually challenged parents and her granny. She longs to be part of the popular crowd, but because of her parents' limitations and her own self-doubts, she is pretty much a loner, save for her best friend, Jesse Wade. But when Jesse Wade begins acting weird, Tiger feels pretty much like the world is just too strange for her to understand.


I don't want to give away any more of the story than that, because it's a lovely journey and I don't want to spoil it for any of you that choose to share it.
  

2 comments:

freeloading freddie said...

Love the picture!

Cordelia Dinsmore said...

Thank you, Freddie. I didn't take it, though. But I liked it, too.

Post a Comment