Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Lovely Weekend

Many people would find my life boring, but it suits me just fine. I had a very enjoyable weekend with my family, which is my favorite kind to have. (That sentence needs work, I know, but I'm leaving it for now.)


We did a little shopping on Saturday and then went to the movies. Men in Black 3 made me laugh out loud. Fortunately, most of the patrons were seeing other flicks, so I didn't disturb too many. I happen to think Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith do a great job of balancing each  other, and I enjoy their speech, style, and quick come-backs. Of course, the ending made me cry, so they owe me another one.


I read a rather entertaining book this weekend. Whales on Stilts by M.T. Anderson. Good grief. It is the silliest, goofiest, most preposterous thing I've read in ages, and I think I needed that. Even more ridiculous than the story are the little additions the author added at the end. He's included tests, interviews, and reading and thinking guide. It's a very short read, and if you have any prepubescent boys in the house, I'm sure they would enjoy it.


After church services this morning, we had a potluck and a Vacation Bible School meeting. We're doing a boot camp theme this year, and I'm excited to be teaching that. My husband has been out of the service for many years and it will bring back memories of that happy time. Of course, the food was amazing and I ate a lot more than I should have. But someone made a delicious dessert involving pound cake soaked in sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream, then topped with whipped cream and a variety of fresh fruit. After the first bite, I realized why some of the men had the audacity to serve themselves a slice of it before we even had all the food ready.


Then someone passed out a little goodie that I thought I'd share with you, although I don't have any way of acknowledging the writer. I just thought it was cute, and might bring a smile. It's in a Question and Answer format. Hope you enjoy.


Q. What kind of man was Boaz before he married? 
A.  He was ruthless.
Q. What do they call pastors in Germany?
A.  German Shepherds.
Q. Who was the greatest financier in the Bible?
A. Noah. He was floating his stock while everyone else was in liquidation.
Q. Who was the greatest female financier in the Bible?
A. Pharaoh's daughter. She went down to the bank of the Nile and drew out a little prophet.
Q. What kind of motor vehicles are in the Bible?
A. Jehovah drove Adam and Eve out of the Garden in a Fury. David's Triumph was heard throughout the land. Also, probably a Honda, because the apostles were all in one Accord.
Q. Who was the greatest comedian in the Bible?
A. Samson. He brought the house down.
Q. What excuse did Adam give to his children as to why he no longer lived in Eden?
A. Your mother ate us out of house and home.
Q. Which servant of God was the most flagrant lawbreaker in the Bible?
A. Moses. He broke all 10 commandments at once.
Q. Which area of Palestine was especially wealthy?
A. The area around Jordan. The banks were always overflowing.
Q. Who is the greatest baby sitter mentioned in the Bible?
A. David. He rocked Goliath to a very deep sleep.
Q. Which Bible character had no parents?
A. Joshua, son of Nun.


Have a blessed week. And be sure to take time to read and smile.


Cordelia



0 comments:

Post a Comment