Friday, March 2, 2012

May B. by Caroline Starr Rose


My rating: 4 of 5 stars




During a discussion on a website I frequent, I commented that I do not particularly care for first person present tense in MG or YA novels. Then I picked up May B. at the library, and had to retract my words.






Caroline Starr Rose has painted a vivid picture of the life of a young girl growing up in the Kansas prairie. The form she has chosen to tell this girl's story is clever in its deceptive simplicity, because it conveys with deadly accuracy the character of the girl.






It's a quick read, but a lovely tale of hardship and hope. I highly recommend it.






View all my reviews

1 comments:

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Want to hear something funny? I never really cared for first-person present tense, either...then ended up writing a book that way. Glad you enjoyed May!

Post a Comment